Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Climbs


The next 2 days were a pass each day...Tsuo La (4500m) and Lhakpo La (5220m). The distances varied from 50-80km's and the climbs were up to 25km long. So they were long steady climbs. The second pass at 5220m was the hardest despite the fact that it was a paved road. The hill did not stop, and as the morning went on I found myself riding alone with a few people in front and behind me. Largely though they were out of sight and the climb took several hours.


The pass was a winding road that climbed to sides of the hills with lots of 4WD's passing. Around each bend I was always hoping to see the top, it just never came. Towards the end I was stopping every few hundred meters for air and to take a drink.


The last 5km's were the most painful.....that was when I started to swear, calling the hill whatever came into my mind. Finally I reached the top only to find it deserted. For good reason no-one was there. It was absolutely freezing and the wind was so icy. So it was down the other side to find the truck 9km away with some hot tea and biscuits (at this stage my feel good food was Oreo's and I think I ate at least 12 per day...)


Climbing these passes was not only a test of legs and lungs it also became a mind game. It was all about talking yourself into keep pedalling and finding a rhythm so that you are not fixated on how you feel. Often the view would inspire me to keep going, then I had my music which was a collection of old favourite songs that I especially picked for climbs. Somehow they made it easier. Then there was the mental calculations. Trying to work out how long it would take to get to the top at my current speed. If I increased that by 1km an hour how much shorter the ride would be. Somehow the kms passed. Often it was sheer determination to get to the top, knowing that walking would be just as tough. Once I reached the pass it was a release of emotion. Knowing that I made it....climbing these passes was always the big question? Would I make it, can I ride for that long on a climb. It was a really great feeling to know the answer.


No comments:


Bears held in cages for bile extraction- a cruel and unneccessary prctise

Bear in cage